A funeral mass was offered Sept. 22 at Immaculate Conception Church for Vilma Irene Ruscick, 94, previously of Ridgefield, and a resident of Secaucus since 1961. She died on Sept. 17. She was predeceased by her parents, Simon and Vilma Ruscick, her sisters, Anne Bernardine Ruscick, Mathilda Ruscick, and Marion Barbara R. Doyle, a brother R. James Ruscick, Esq., her nephew, Frederick P. Doyle, M.D. and her brother-in-law, Judge Frederick P. Doyle, Esq. She is survived by her nephew and godson Michael P. Doyle of Secaucus, several nieces and another nephew, and also several grand nieces and grand nephews.
Miss Ruscick was born on New Year’s Day, 1922 in Sloan’s Hospital for Women in New York City. In 1923 her family relocated to West New York and subsequently to the Woodcliff section of North Bergen until 1948 when they moved to Ridgefield. The family then moved to Secaucus in 1961. She attended the public schools in West New York and graduated from Memorial High School in June 1938.
In the midst of the Great Depression, she was anxious to prepare for a career in the private corporate sector and continued on to New York Business School. In her 37 years of employment, Miss Ruscick worked for three large corporate organizations in New York City. The first was in December, 1939 with the Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company (known as an “essential industry” during World War II) and remained there until 1950. She enrolled in Fordham University, located in downtown Manhattan, and matriculated there for four years at night and Saturdays. In 1950, she changed jobs to work for Arabian American Oil Company (Aramco) when the headquarters moved from San Francisco to New York City. Two years later, in 1952, she was transferred to Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. She remained there until 1954. In February 1955, she joined the IBM Corporation in New York City, which was not only her last job, but her most exciting because it was at the time the age of the computer was born.
Her career was an education in itself. She learned how big businesses operated and how the New York Stock Exchange and Securities and Exchange Commission entered into the picture. Each of the three companies was vastly different from the other. Most of her time at IBM was in New York City but IBM was growing in leaps and bounds. She spent several years commuting to Westchester County. A whole new vision opened up for her, particularly with the opportunity to travel all over the world as well as the United States.
Services arranged by the Failla-McKnight Memorial Home, Hoboken.

© 2000, Newspaper Media Group