Obituary points to identity of 51-year-old man who died in Hoboken, authorities still mum

HOBOKEN – Multiple calls and emails to the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office have not yielded any new information after a 51-year-old man was found dead of a gunshot wound in his Grand Street home in Hoboken during the wee hours of Monday, Feb. 1.
An online search shows that the home at 706 Grand St. was owned by Leonid Markevitch. An obituary was posted on on Thursday morning for Markevitch.
According to a press release from the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office, on Monday, Feb. 1, officers from the Hoboken Police Department were dispatched to 706 Grand St. around 1 a.m. “on a report of a person in cardiac arrest.”
“Upon arrival, officers found the 51-year-old male in cardiac arrest with an apparent single gunshot wound to his upper torso,” the press release says. “The male was pronounced dead shortly after 1:20 a.m.”
The Hoboken Police Department diverted questions to the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office since the investigation is still pending. The prosecutor’s office said they have not ruled out that the gunshot may have been self-inflicted. A taped sign on the doorway of the Grand Street home was posted by the Homicide Unit, warning off trespassers.
Hoboken Police Chief Kenneth Ferrante said that some media outlets falsely reported details about the Grand Street incident, which may have unnerved some locals. WPIX11 initially reported that three individuals barged into the 706 Washington St. home, which is “100 percent false,” Ferrante said.
Ferrante would not release other details. But sources said Markevitch lived there with his wife. Investigators are trying to determine how he died.
Ferrante did tell The Hoboken Reporter Thursday afternoon that only one shooter is currently “at large” in Hoboken — the individual wanted for a different shooting. On Tuesday, a 21-year-old man was shot at a basketball court near the Hoboken Housing Authority projects. The victim was brought to Jersey City Medical Center and released two hours later. The perpetrator is at large.
If you have more information, email

© 2000, Newspaper Media Group