Bayonne firefighters battle three-alarm blaze

BAYONNE – The Bayonne Fire Department responded to a three-alarm blaze at 99 Ave. A on Monday, Nov. 9, a fire official said.
Firefighters were confronted with heavy smoke coming from the structure’s roof, as well as fire and smoke traveling along the underside of the roof, according to Fire Chief Gregory Rogers.
“Construction workers were evacuated from the structure and firefighters advanced multiple fire hoses to extinguish the fire that damaged the underside of the roof and an insulated pipe shaft that was attached,” Rogers said in a statement.
The blaze was declared under control in about an hour. There were no reported injuries.
The fire damage extended beneath the roof for approximately 100 feet, and moderate levels of smoke and water damage also occurred.
The 160,000-square-foot vacant warehouse was empty of content at the time of the fire, and was undergoing repairs.
Workers were reportedly using propane torches to remove a heat exchanger when insulation below the roof ignited, Rogers said. The workers unsuccessfully attempted to extinguish the fire.
The warehouse was recently purchased by the Penwood Company.
The department investigator determined that the fire was accidental, and was the result of a worker’s torch igniting insulation in the roof area on the warehouse’s south side.

© 2000, Newspaper Media Group