Police Beat

Suspects accused of brutal assault at Hoboken McDonald’s turn themselves in

A man remains in critical condition at Jersey City Medical Center two weeks after he was brutally assaulted at a Hoboken McDonald’s, according to a hospital spokesman. Two New York men accused of carrying out the early morning assault on Monday, May 25 have turned themselves into police, according to reports from the Hoboken Police Department.
The alleged assault, for which a motive is still not known, left the male victim unconscious and seriously injured. According to Hoboken Police Chief Kenneth Ferrante, the victim has undergone three surgeries aimed at relieving “massive internal bleeding.” One surgery removed a large portion of the victim’s skull in order to reduce swelling in his brain.
The first suspect, Paul Maiolini, 26, of Carmel, N.Y., turned himself into the Hudson County Central Judicial Processing court in Jersey City on Friday, May 29, according to a statement by Hoboken police. He was assessed a $100,000 bail and taken to the Hudson County Correctional Facility, according to Ferrante.
The second suspect, Robert Brichta, 27, of Kent, N.Y., appeared at the Hoboken police headquarters just before 2 p.m. on Monday, June 1, accompanied by his parents, according to Ferrante. Brichta was processed and assessed $100,000 bail as well, said Ferrante.
Both men face charges of aggravated assault and endangering an injured victim, police said.
Hoboken police launched a public search for the alleged assailants last Thursday, releasing videos and still images garnered from security cameras. The press release identified Maiolini as a suspect and included a photo of his face, but did not identify Brichta.
According to police, the victim had no prior relationship with the alleged attackers and did not appear to provoke an attack. In the McDonald’s security camera footage, said Ferrante, Brichta and Maiolini are waiting for their food next to the victim, and “a five-second dialogue turns into a swift, vicious assault.”
Maiolini allegedly delivered a punch to the head that knocked the victim over and rendered him unconscious, and Brichta allegedly kicked the victim in the head while he was on the ground.
After the alleged assault, police said the two men got their food and walked out of the restaurant, heading east on Third Street.
Brichta turned 27 on Saturday, May 23, and police believe he was in Hoboken with Maiolini celebrating his birthday.

Sunday bloody Sunday

An argument over a woman at a Washington Street bar and restaurant this past Sunday afternoon turned ugly when one man allegedly threw a pint glass and brandished a butter knife at another, according to a report from the Hoboken Police Department. The alleged attacker, Luis Feliu, 40, of New York, N.Y., was arrested nearby and charged with aggravated assault, unlawful possession of a weapon, and possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose, according to police.
According to an account given to police by the victim, the verbal argument between himself and Feliu escalated when Feliu allegedly threw a pint glass at his head, causing lacerations on the left side of his neck and ear.
According to the account, Feliu then allegedly grabbed a butter knife, but was separated from the victim by bar security before he had an opportunity to use it.
When Feliu departed the establishment, the victim called police and began following him, tracking him to a red Toyota located two blocks north on Washington Street, according to police.
Hoboken Police Officers Mike Aviles and Matthew Isler arrived on the scene and arrested Feliu, the report stated. According to police, the female driver of the Toyota, Milan Coralyz, was also arrested for her actions at the scene and charged with obstructing the administration of law.
During processing, Hoboken police found an additional outstanding $2,500 warrant for Feliu from Union City, according to the report. Police said Feliu’s bail was set at $25,000. He was transferred to the Hudson County Correctional Facility due to lack of payment.
The victim was subsequently taken to Hoboken University Medical Center and treated for his injuries.

© 2000, Newspaper Media Group