Bayonne firefighters respond to kitchen blaze

BAYONNE – Firefighters responded to an early morning fire on Prospect Avenue, extinguishing it and preventing it from spreading.
On Tuesday, May 13 at about 4:30 a.m., the Bayonne Fire Department responded to a report of a fire at 201A Prospect Ave., a two-story, wood-frame building.
Arriving firefighters witnessed flames and smoke emanating from a window on the first floor, and received reports of a man possibly trapped on that level, according to Fire Chief Gregory Rogers.
“It was quickly determined that the individual, thought to be trapped, had escaped unharmed, and that the other tenants had also self-evacuated unharmed,” Rogers said. “Firefighters advanced fire hoses, and quickly extinguished a fire in the first floor kitchen that was beginning to travel to the other rooms.”
The first-floor kitchen suffered substantial fire, smoke, and water damage, resulting in the displacement of four occupants. Tenants from the floor above were able to return to the building.
Investigators determined that the fire originated in the first-floor kitchen. The fire is still under investigation. – Joseph Passantino

© 2000, Newspaper Media Group