Bayonne Hispanic Association Parade to be held Sunday, Sept. 27, starting at 1 p.m.
Broadway will be awash in vivid colors on Sunday, Sept. 27 as representatives from the city’s Latino population march, dance, sing, and play music during the Bayonne Hispanic Association parade, in observance of Hispanic Heritage Month.
The annual tradition will kick off at 1 p.m. from the intersection of Broadway and Fifth Street for the mile-long route up the avenue before marchers turn left at 23rd street and proceed west for about a block and a half to Our Lady of Assumption Church, at 23rd Street between Kennedy Boulevard and Avenue C, where an ethnic festival will be held, according to association founding member Daniel Valentine.
Though the parade celebrates the customs, traditions, and diversity of the city’s 21 Spanish groups, all Bayonne residents are invited to attend the parade and party.
“Every year our goal is to have a beautiful cultural event to serve and integrate the community,” Valentine said.
Spectators can expect to see several floats, 40 to 50 groups, and more than 700 marchers, including social, religious, educational, and veterans groups.
“There will be dance groups, those representing different countries, and diverse community-based organizations,” Valentine said.
Santa Minaya, this year’s parade “godmother,” honored for her community work, will help prepare the marchers starting at 10 a.m. as they assemble on 5th Street.
The after-party will feature food, music, singing, dancing, other entertainment, and activities for children, including clowns and face painting.
On Friday, Sept. 25, the association’s Annual Gala Banquet will be held at the Chandelier Restaurant, 1081 Broadway. The donation of $75 per person helps to fund community activities. To make a reservation, call Valentine at (201) 737-7711, Abett Hernandez at (201) 467-7119, or George Merino at (201) 681-6030.
Gala honorees include Ada Motaldo, BCB Bank manager, Woman of the Year, and Pete Amadeo, Bayonne recreation director, Man of the Year.
Marist hosting outdoor Mass and barbecue honoring Bishop Donato
Marist High School will host a back-to-school Mass and barbecue on Friday, Sept. 25 at 6:30 p.m. to celebrate the start of the new school year and also remember the life of Bishop Thomas Donato, who died last month.
The Mass will take place at the Marist High School Quad, 1241 Kennedy Blvd.
“Bishop Donato was a longtime friend and supporter of Marist and we want to take this opportunity to honor his memory,” said spokesman Matthew Puracchio.
The Mass and barbecue are open to students, parents, faculty, and the public.
Food tickets are $5 each and need to be purchased in advance from the school office. Call (201) 437-4545 for ticket information.
For more information about Marist High School, visit marist.org.
City announces award for road program’s second phase
Bayonne city officials announced on Sept. 17 that a contract was awarded to Black Rock Enterprises for the second part of the 2015 Road Improvement Plan.
The City Council adopted a resolution of the contract award at its regular meeting on Sept. 16.
Commenting on the award, City Chief of Staff Andrew Casais said, “Our ability to secure funding, especially grant funding, for infrastructure has been a driving factor behind the city’s aggressive approach to restoring local roadways.”
This is the second phase of the program, which, according to Casais, “totals approximately $797,000 worth of improvements and line striping on the equivalent of about 20 blocks throughout Bayonne.”
This is in addition to the first phase, which equated to $781,000 of improvements slated for 20 blocks.
Streets to be included are:
Roadway overlay around and between the Alexan City View complex, West 25th Street (Broadway to Avenue C), Avenue E (12th Street to 16th Street), West 54th Street (Kennedy Boulevard to Sunset Avenue), and West 31st Street (Broadway to Avenue C).
Rec Division to hold Veteran/Military Outreach Oct. 3
The Bayonne Division of Recreation’s Hand In Hand Veteran/Military Outreach program will hold its first meeting/activity on Saturday, Oct. 3 at 2 p.m. at the Bayonne Museum, 229 Broadway.
Recreation, along with the Bayonne Coalition, has begun this new outreach program for veterans and those currently serving in the military.
Hand in Hand Veteran Outreach is a program in which citizens of Bayonne, of all ages, can show their support to our veterans, servicemen and servicewomen.
“Whether it is sending a care package, a letter, or a thank you card, the Hand In Hand Veteran/Military Outreach is a way to connect with our veterans and those who are dedicating their lives to supporting and protecting our lives,” said Recreation Director Pete Amadeo.
Hand in Hand is also a program to support those who have loved ones currently serving in the military, showing support and giving comfort to family members here in the United States.
On Oct. 3, participants will write and decorate thank-you cards to be sent to those currently serving in the military. Bayonne veterans will be on hand to assist and take part in the activity.
“The Division of Recreation welcomes all groups and organizations to join,” Amadeo said.
For more information, contact Amadeo at (201) 858-6129 or email email@example.com.
City to hold annual health fair on Oct. 6
The Bayonne Department of Municipal Services will be holding a city of Bayonne Health Fair, Tuesday, Oct. 6 from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. at Fitzpatrick Park, between 26th and 27th streets.
The rain date will be Wednesday, Oct. 7 at the same time and place.
Lunar eclipse viewing at Meadowlands observatory
Those interested in viewing the total lunar eclipse on Sunday, Sept. 27, can do so for free at the William D. McDowell Observatory in DeKorte Park, Lyndhurst, from 7:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
The peak of the eclipse, when Earth is positioned completely between the full moon and the sun, will take place at approximately 10:45 p.m.
The event will also include a talk on the history of eclipses and telescope viewing of astronomical objects including Saturn and Neptune.
Attendees must be able to climb 25 steps to reach the telescope.
Registration is not required. For more information, call (201) 460-4623.
Menendez announces deadline extension for FEMA Sandy Claims
U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez announced on Sept. 18 that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has agreed to extend the deadline to Oct. 15 for Sandy victims to have their claims reviewed.
After evidence emerged of widespread low balling and potential fraud, and at the urging of Sen. Menendez and the New Jersey Congressional delegation, FEMA agreed in March to reopen all 142,000 flood insurance claims filed by victims of Superstorm Sandy not currently in litigation, including 70,000 in New Jersey.
“I have spent the past year and a half fighting to reform the broken claims process and give Sandy victims, who faithfully paid their insurance premiums, a second chance to finally get what they deserve,” said Sen. Menendez. “I’m incredibly pleased to announce that FEMA has agreed to extend the deadline for Sandy victims to have their claims re-opened and reviewed.”
“I understand why many families have been skeptical about making the call,” Menendez added. “You’re tired and frustrated and reopening your claim may seem like reopening an old wound that still hasn’t healed.
In August, Sen. Menendez led the delegation in a letter to the FEMA Administrator urging an extension of the deadline.