Police Beat Complied by Timothy J. Carroll 1/18/09

Where’s the gun?

Police received a call on Tuesday, Jan. 13 at 10:10 p.m. about a man carrying a handgun in the area of Eighth Street near Monroe.
Officers stopped Tyquan Chisolm, whom they said fit the description, at 720 Monroe St. and smelled burned marijuana on his person, police said.
A search turned up 17 small plastic bags filled with what police believe is marijuana.
Chisolm, 18, a Jersey City resident and Demarest School student (according to police), was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, possession within 500 feet of public housing, possession within 1,000 feet of a school, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Police said they did not recover a handgun from the scene.
If the last name is familiar, it is because Chisolm’s brother Tireke, 20, was arrested recently in connection with the homicide at Fourth and Harrison streets, police said.

More news in wake of Hoboken High School fight

Police are still reviewing matters related to a fight that broke out at a Hoboken High School basketball game last Friday night against High Tech. According to police reports, a Hoboken student was taunting a High Tech student when a section of the stands erupted in a melee.
Police Captain Anthony Falco said the total attendance was roughly 200 students, but only a portion of them were involved in the scuffle.
Two police officers were stationed on duty at the game when the fight began, police said. Police said the officers made their way into the stands to quell the aggression when Athletic Director Mo DeGennaro announced that everyone should exit the building.
The officers stationed themselves by the door as everyone exited, but two female students tried to make their way back into the gym, Falco said.
Police refused to let them back in as the exiting crowd became aggressive again. Then, one of the female students punched one of the officers in the face, Falco said.
The second officer called for backup as students began to punch the first officer.
He was struck in the head and back by various people. He began to defend himself with his baton by creating what police call a “safety zone” around himself, police said.
Over 150 people poured into the street and other fights broke out. Police backup arrived and began to diffuse the situation.
One adult male was shouting obscenities at police and refused to leave the scene. He was arrested for failing to disperse and resisting arrest, police said.
The two juvenile females were charged with juvenile delinquency, downgraded from aggravated assault and obstructing a governmental function because the girls were under 18 years old, police said.
A third juvenile was charged with disorderly conduct.
Police are not sure if school cameras picked up any footage of the fight, but Falco said they are still reviewing the case.
The officer who was struck was treated for abrasions and minor lacerations. The female who he defended himself against received 30 stitches, according to police.

Another alleged GPS bandit

Police arrested one of two men who they say they caught breaking into a car at 411 Ninth St. Police said they observed two men entering the car on Jan. 15 at 4 a.m. in order to steal a GPS device in the center console.
Police approached the men and a foot chase for both ensued. One man escaped after nearly knocking an officer down when he took off. The other was apprehended at 820 Clinton St. after a struggle with police in which he used slight physical force, according to police.
Germaine Agosto, 29, of Irvington, was charged with burglary to an auto, resisting arrest, criminal mischief, and possession of burglary tools, said Lt. Det. Charles Campbell.
Agosto was detained on $500 bail.